The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is designed for all those skilled workers who are interested in migrating to Australia as a permanent resident. This visa allows skilled workers to live and work in regional Australia as a permanent residence. There are two streams through which a skilled worker can apply to get The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187). Those two streams are:
1. The Temporary Residence Transition Stream
This stream is for all those skilled workers whose employer wants to sponsor them for permanent residence in Australia. An applicant may be eligible for this stream if the applicant holds Temporary Skill shortage (TSS) visa (Subclass 482) or a Temporary work (skilled) visa (Subclass 457) or a related associated Bridging visa.
- That work must be for at least three years out of four past years in the same positions that they have been nominated for
- That work must be of two years out of three past years if the transitional arrangements apply.
- A related associated Bridging visa.
2. The Direct Entry stream
This stream is designed for all those skilled workers who want to immigrate to Australia to work but are unable to meet the eligibility conditions of The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Streams. Thus, skilled workers whose employer wants to sponsor them but they do not qualify for The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) Streams can migrate to Australia through this stream.
The process time for applications can vary case to case and can also vary due to individual circumstances like:
- whether the candidate has lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how promptly candidate respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration program
- For citizenship applications, the time taken to attend a Citizenship Ceremony or receive a Citizenship Certificate.
- In order to apply for this visa, a candidate must have been nominated by an employer of Australia and that nomination must have been approved within the six months before applying for this.
- The applicant’s age should not be more than 45 years
- The applicants must have the required skill and qualifications for the position they have been nominated for.
- The applicants must have appropriate English Language skills
- The applicants must meet the health and character requirements.
- The applicants must meet the requirements of the streams in which they are applying for.
- The applicants who are a holder of this visa are free to live and work in regional Australia as a permanent resident.
- The applicants who are the holder of this visa can work and study in Australia
- The applicants with this visa can access the Medicare healthcare scheme
- Opportunity to apply for Citizenship. After spending a certain time in Australia, a candidate can apply for Citizenship
- The candidates can travel to and from Australia for five years.
- A candidate can sponsor their relatives for permanent resident in Australia
Who can sponsor skilled workers?
An employer is allowed to nominated skilled workers under this visa if they meet the following requirements:
- There should be no adverse information about their business or any other person associated with that business
- The skilled workers they are nominating should be eligible for any mandatory registration, license or professional membership
- Employer should obey the Australian immigration and workplace relations laws
- An Employer is allowed t nominate a skilled worker only for above mentioned three streams