Student Guardian visa (subclass 580) is for all those applicants who want to migrate to Australia to prove care and support for:
- · A student who holds a student visa and is younger than 18 years of age
- · A student who holds a student visa and is older than 18 years but needs such care and support due to exceptional circumstances
Applications for this visa have been closed for new applicants. If the applicants want to extend their stay in Australia, they need to apply for student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
This visa allows applicants to stay in Australia as a guardian of an international student who is younger than 18 years and studying in Australia on a student visa. This visa gives an opportunity to guardians who were away from their children to stay with them while they study in Australia. These guardians can migrate to Australia to provide support and care to the student. It is also beneficial for international students as they will be living with their guardian who will provide care and support to them. This visa holder can live in Australia for up to five years.
The process time for applications can vary case to case and can also vary due to individual circumstances like:
- whether the candidate has lodged a complete application, including all necessary supporting documents
- how promptly candidate respond to any requests for additional information
- how long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
- how long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies, particularly in relation to health, character, and national security requirements
- for permanent migration visa applications, how many places are available in the migration program
- For citizenship applications, the time taken to attend a Citizenship Ceremony or receive a Citizenship Certificate.
In order to become eligible for this visa, the applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- The applicants must be a parent or person having custody of the student, or a relative who is 21 years or older and has been nominated in writing by a parent or someone who has custody of the student
- The applicants must be able to meet the requirements of accommodation, general welfare and support to the student
- The applicants must not bring family members younger than 6 years of age, except under certain circumstances.
- The applicants must meet the health and character requirements
- The applicants must be financially strong enough to support any dependent and the student.
- The applicants must not owe any money to the Australian government
- The applicants must stay only in Australia
- The applicants must provide biometric information
- The applicants can stay in Australia for as long as the student stays or up until the student turns 18 years of age
- The applicants are allowed to study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week
- The applicants are allowed to study another course for up to three months.